Thursday, October 4, 2012

Week 1: Intro

Hello everyone!

I want to share with all of you my understanding of "social difference" in this melting pot of a city! "Social difference" to me is the separation of the population by various factors that shape the role people play in society. For instance, people are inherently distinct in terms of culture, customs, race, class, gender, and most importantly social mobility.  However, their collaboration despite these differences maintains the functionality of the urban city, but also causes conflict, segregation, and inequality.

This blog will include photos and most importantly my view on urban city life and social difference. I am interested in learning about the mix of people in densely populated areas. Growing up in southern California, I feel as if I have a good understanding of the conflicts and divisions between race and class in a dense urban context.  I hope to discuss and also learn from all of you about what makes a metropolis such as Los Angeles, function with great diversity of race, class, and gender.

Some places I would like to visit would be the coastal areas of Los Angeles, such as the Port of Long Beach, Malibu, and Venice Beach. I am familiar with those areas but I would like to explore them with the ideas of this class in mind. I am looking  forward to traveling around L.A. and really getting to explore the city I live in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment