Friday, November 30, 2012

Week 9: 3rd Response

I responded to Antonio's blog post about his bus ride down Wilshire.

http://afigueroageography151.blogspot.com/2012/11/blogging-social-difference-in-l.html


Hi Antonio,
I enjoyed reading your blog post and I thought you had a unique viewpoint on certain aspects of the Wilshire area. The 720 is always an interesting experience for me as well. It is not just interesting by the diversity of people on the bus, but at the large differences one sees within blocks. I like the fact that you stated that the roads suck even though it was a minor detail to you, because they really do! I have also wondered that, because east of Westwood Village is supposed to “Millionaire’s Mile,” but the roads are full of potholes.  (I also noticed this coming to UCLA as a freshman on Sunset Boulevard. I noticed potholes, uprooted cement and narrow roads. I thought, if these people are millionaires I am sure they have the power to influence construction on these streets. ) The metro 720 usually goes too fast for me to recognize the significance of the people tending the buildings, parking, and gardens closely, but I have observed the people from time to time.
I also do not find it surprising that this area of millionaires with their fancy cars, hotels, and buildings has a high influx of minority workers, as you stated. It is very prominent in areas like this to have minorities work in these jobs. What is interesting to me, is that on the Metro 720 we see these people that are most likely heading East for work every single day. I see how vital it is for people to work these jobs. They take the jobs that other (mostly non-minorities) would never take, in order to provide little but something to their families. In a way, I think these might be embedded in Durkheim’s idea of morality. From what I have seen, Hispanics taking these low income jobs is because they lack resources for highly qualified jobs, but also culture. The Latin American culture is big on hard work and the ideal that working in itself, is something that is necessary, regardless of how difficult it is or how low the wages are. That’s where specialization comes in the urban fabric, density allows people to fill these positions and contribute to organic solidarity, as people rely on minorities to work these jobs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment